Being a pet owner is no easy task; in addition to meeting your pet’s daily needs, making them comfortable, and ensuring their happiness, pet owners have to be constantly vigilant to ensure their pets do not get into anything that could potentially be dangerous for them. It can be difficult to keep track of all the items that are potentially poisonous for your pet, so we created this list to remind you of the dangers that could be present in your home.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

Acetaminophen can be dangerous for pets to consume, but it is particularly threatening to cats. A cat’s liver struggles to process the components of acetaminophen, so consumption of this compound could lead to liver damage or negatively impact red blood cells.


This ingredient found in asthma inhalers can have deadly repercussions for cats or dogs that get into it. To prevent an emergency run to the vet, keep asthma inhalers far out of your pet’s reach.


Composting may be a good way to reduce your carbon footprint, but developing compost is full of fungi that could be dangerous for your pets. To prevent your pet from accidentally consuming any of the fungi found in compost, don’t allow them to roll around in your compost or otherwise have access to it.

Garlic and Onions

Garlic, onions, and any other plant within the allium family can be deadly for cats and dogs. These plants contain a compound that may lead to the development of anemia in your pets. Since garlic and onion products are in so many foods, owners must be diligent and keep them away from their furry friends. If your pet accidentally gets a small taste of something with onion or garlic in it, you probably don’t need to worry, but seek help if they consume any considerable portion of garlic or onion.

Grapes and Raisins

Everyone knows to keep chocolate away from their pets, but did you know that grapes and raisins may be even more deadly? It’s true-grapes and raisins can be lethal for cats and dogs. If your cat or dog consumes a stray grape, it is probably not cause for panic, but owners should seek immediate veterinary attention for cats or dogs that consume more than a couple of grapes.


Xylitol is a sugar substitute that can be found in candies and gums that are marked as sugar-free. This compound is particularly dangerous for pets, as it can cause liver damage or cause blood sugar levels to drop to alarming levels. Seeks immediate help for any pet that has consumed a product with xylitol.

Here at PetWow, we take pet health very seriously-that’s why we’ve developed our free mobile app. If you are concerned that your pet may have ingested something potentially dangerous, please get in touch immediately.

For more pet care tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or LinkedIn!